Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Grandparents and Gift Giving: What Every Grandparent Should Know

Birthdays and holidays are a stressful time for me and it has nothing to do with how busy we are: I get anxiety over having too much stuff! And the thought of adding more stuff stresses me out.

So, I love Peter Walsh's suggestions in his book It's All Too Much fo what grandparent's can give instead of toys, and I agree 100%, I 've added a few of my own suggestions as well:

  • Donate to a college fund
  • Donate to a fund to save for a trip together when the child gets older
  • Buy the ingredients and make a special family recipe together
  • Buy tickets for a live performance at a theater or musical and attend together
  • Show your love by experiencing something together: fly a kite at a park, go to a museum, read and discuss a book together, plant something together, do a science experiment, build something together, do a service project
  • Give a magazine subscription
If you still feel the need to give a tangible gift, ask the parent what the child needs and supply that.

Children can learn early on that it's not how much stuff you have that makes you happy. Happiness comes from our relationships and how we care for one another.

No comments: