Sunday, August 21, 2011

Uncle Aaron Just Makes Stuff Up

Often, we don't say what we think. Maybe because we think we might hurt another's feelings or because we just aren't bold enough to say it. Maybe we think we might not be able to support our own belief in a convincing manner.

I admire my son, Niko- age 7, because he actually says what he believes and is getting plenty of practice justifying his beliefs and even sometimes apologizing, when appropriate.

Uncle Aaron is an entimologist (a fancy way of saying a bug lover and collector) by hobby. He collects, studies, pins and displays thousands of butterflies, beetles and other insects. He has traveled North and Central America with this hobby and is quite knowledgeable about insects, usually calling one by its scientific name, like Furdelese or Papilionidae, Chalcosoma caucasus. His young son, Easton - age 6, also loves to learn about insects. Like father, like son.

During a recent camping trip, Easton was consantly saying, Niko, my dad says this is a xxxx, or Niko, my dad calls this xxxx. I know what that is called, its a xxx, my dad told me.  Niko had just about enough. He directly and LOUDLY said, "Easton, your dad doesn't know what these bugs are called, he just makes things up!"

Enough said. Uncle Aaron just makes things up!

No comments: